Tuesday, February 3, 2015

52 Shades of Alyssa: Cleaning

I decided to make cleaning on of my 52 Shades posts not because it is a major part of who I am (I do however, like a clean and well organized house), but because it is important to me to have natural cleaning products and I am a planner by nature. Every Friday morning, during Riley's morning nap, I clean. Most weeks that involves, scrubbing the kitchen, sweeping and mopping the floors, cleaning the bathrooms, empty the trash, dust and vacuum. Once a month (sometimes more if we have guests coming), I do a really deep clean (all the weekly cleaning tasks plus clean the fridge, scrub every nook and cranny, wash Riley's toys, clean the stove, etc). I like doing my cleaning on Friday's because I go into the weekend feeling relaxed and able to enjoy downtime with my family and Mike comes home to a clean house for his days off. The house is also clean if we have friends come over, so I really like Friday's being my cleaning day.

I work efficiently from room to room, starting by scrubbing/dusting higher surfaces so that way when I sweep and mop the food/dust that falls to the floor gets taken care of. I usually do bathrooms last because the idea of doing the kitchen after the bathrooms grosses me out. I usually do Riley's room before she goes down for her nap and she plays on the floor in her room. If your kids aren't napping in the morning anymore, you can always do it in the afternoon, or maybe while they're at school, or during their down time during the day.

One thing I am very particular about is having natural cleaning products in our home. Riley spends a lot of time putting things in her mouth, or crawling on the floor. I don't want her exposed to a whole bunch of chemicals. I swear by Honest Company cleaning products. They offer an Essentials Bundle where you can ship 5 items for $40. I usually add two more products so that it ends up being over $50 so I can get the free shipping. I have found it is actually cheaper than buying most non-natural products in the store. They offer recurring shipment options of every 2,4 or 6 weeks. I often only need a new shipment every 6 weeks so that works well for us. You can always extend the shipment date even later than 6 weeks but you have to log into your account close to the shipment date for it to process the date change. I've tried doing it a few weeks ahead and it won't let you. I just put a reminder on my calendar to check the shipment date and which items I want them to ship before the shipment date. I also have Clorox wipes for when we have illness go through our home. This is the only time I use them. After we're sick, I just want something that is going to kill germs fast, so Clorox is what I use. Otherwise, my cleaning involves all natural products..

 Here are some of The Honest Company products I use.

Multi-surface cleaner & dishwasher packs
Laundry Detergent (I do laundry once a week with about 6 loads and this lasted me 2 months so far!)
Bathroom cleaner
I also use their dusting spray, window cleaner, dish soap, hand soap & body soap.


I find that dish soap, hand soap, etc runs out a lot quicker than the other products I buy through The Honest Company and in that case it is more expensive than buying other natural brands in-store. So in between 6 week shipments, I pick up these brands in-store.Other products I use are Meyer's dish soap, Method handsoap & Trader Joe's Fruit and Veggie wash.


So there you have it! My cleaning regimen is fairly straightforward. I love a clean home and it makes me feel good to use natural products that aren't harmful to my family. 

In other news..I have been pinning like crazy! Lots of fun fashion ideas, organizing, birthday party decorations, etc. so be on the look out for some fun posts soon!


Happy Tuesday!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment