Monday, April 13, 2015

Mom 2 Mom: Washing Produce

I've decided to start a new series, called Mom2Mom, where I discuss topics to make families' lives simpler, more afforable, less stressful, etc. These tips are all based on my own personal experiences & are not expert opinions but I hope they are something you all find helpful and useful in your own lives.

Today, I want to share with you one thing I do that makes shopping for produce a little simpler, more affordable, & just maybe a little less of that mom guilt I know a lot of us feel. Today's topic is washing produce. Organic produce can be expensive and a few bucks more than the non-organic produce. I would love to feed my kid all organic food, but honestly, that just isn't in the budget for us right now, so what I do is wash my produce with a fruit & vegetable wash that helps remove waxes, pesticides & chemicals. 

Here's what I do..

What you'll need:


Your fruits & veggies, a Fruit & Vegetable Wash (mine's from Trader Joe's), a tablespoon measuring spoon & a fruit/veggie brush (optional)


Fill the sink with 32 ounces of warm water (I fill my sink about 1/3 of the way).


Add 1 tablespoons of the Fruit & Veggie Wash.


Add your fruits & veggies and let them soak for 30 seconds.



Scrub your fruit with the fruit/veggie brush.



Thoroughly rinse your fruits & veggies with water from the spout.


Dry you fruits & veggies.

& they are good to go!

1 tablespoon with 32 ounces of water can wash about 10 pounds of produce.

This has been such a money saver for us & I feel better about the produce I am giving my kid. Now it still probably isn't as good as organic produce, but hey at least I am doing something!

If you firmly believe in organic food, I think that is wonderful! But I also think we all need to give ourselves a break & just work with what we've got! This is my solution to a problem I know a lot of mamas (and dads!) deal with. 

Hope this helps you & your family!

If you have an idea for moms, share it in the comments! We can all use some helpful ideas!

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment